Red Lentil Sweet Potato Coconut Soup
from the Green Lean Bean
I wrote the directions for a Crockpot method but feel free to cook this in a traditional method using a pot. Let simmer until thickened.
2 cups dried red lentils, soaked for 2-4 hours, then rinsed.
1 tsp coconut oil
1/2 cup onion, minced
4 small garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tbls cumin
1/4 tsp turmeric
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp curry
1 tsp coriander
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1 cinnamon stick
1 tbls tomato paste
1 tsp minced ginger
1/2 tsp of salt
fresh ground pepper to taste
2 (32 oz.) containers of Veggie broth
2 carrots, peeled and sliced
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 (14 oz.) can of coconut milk
baby spinach leaves, to garnish
Turn crock-pot on High to warm up. Place coconut oil, onion, garlic, ginger and all of the spices in the bottom of the crock-pot and let coconut oil melt and mix until all incorporated. Add broth and stir. In the mean time, cut the carrots and sweet potatoes and add them to pot. Cover and let simmer on High for up to 8 hours. (Mine took just about 8 hours to thicken) With an hour still remaining, add can of coconut milk and mix thoroughly. Serve with spinach leaves as a garnish and fresh cracked pepper. Squeeze a little lemon juice on top--the acidity brings all the flavors together very nicely.
1. Soak dry lentils in a bowl of water.
2. After 2-4 hours, drain and rinse. (I use a nut milk bag)
3. Add oil, minced onions, minced garlic, minced ginger and all spices to pot. Mix well.
4. Add broth.
5. Cut sweet potatoes and carrots. Add to pot.
5. Add lentils to pot. Cover and let simmer for 8 hours if using a crock-pot. Remember to take cinnamon stick out before serving!
6. Before serving add can of Coconut Milk.
7. Serve with fresh cracked pepper, lemon juice and garnish with spinach.